POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Importing DXF, WMF etc : Re: Importing DXF, WMF etc Server Time
19 May 2024 08:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Importing DXF, WMF etc
From: Ken
Date: 14 Mar 2003 10:11:01
Message: <3E71F1C5.DE8F04C8@pacbell.net>
CB wrote:

> Is it possible to "import" objects or shapes created in other graphics
> drawing programs such as DXF meshes, WMF etc.
>
> In particular I have a shape which I created in CorelDraw which I can
> obviously export in various formats, and I'd like to be able to use it in
> PovRAY in an extruded form.

It is tyipically very difficult to translate 2D image formats into a
3D environment other than simply using them as image maps to texture
existing 3D objects. The other alternative is to try to use a 2D
image to create a height field which will create a 3D shape from
a 2D image file format, but it has limitations.

> Is this possible in PovRAY, or by using a pre-processor?
>
> I'd also like to know if DXF meshes can imported into PovRAY.

There are several utilities that will allow you to convert from various
3D file formats to POV-Ray. The most popular are 3DWin and CrossRoads3D.
3DWin is shareware and is the most capable. Both will handle dxf2pov
conversions. Links to those and other conversion utilities can be found
at povray.org -

http://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/

--
Ken Tyler