POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Huh? Normal averaging bug? : Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Huh? Normal averaging bug?
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 4 Mar 2003 06:39:00
Message: <3E64935D.4090605@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> I was playing around with layered textures today, and on a whim, I
> decided to see what would happen if I averaged two opposed normals
> together.
> I assumed that they would completely cancel out.. but instead, they
> produced a weird, not exactly granite-like normal that's quite noticible.>
 >
> Why is this?

Just a guess: The length of the normal vector is irrelevant, only the
direction counts. Numerically the normals you get are not zero but
will have a "random" direction.

Manual 6.7.11.2:
The perturbed normals are then weighted, added and _normalized_.

--
merge{#local i=-11;#while(i<11)#local
i=i+.1;sphere{<i*(i*i*(.05-i*i*(4e-7*i*i+3e-4))-3)10*sin(i)30>.5}#end