POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve= : Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve= Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:52:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running POV from another app without the editor coming up in the Windows Ve=
From: Ken
Date: 2 Mar 2003 22:00:42
Message: <3E62C5EC.4AC392BC@pacbell.net>
Vadim Sytnikov wrote:

> <completely different matter>
>
> It is my understanding that if I ever decide to distribute my programs
> (either publicly or just to a selected people; BTW, currently, I distribute
> just the results of their work, so to say) altogether with the custom
> version of POV-Ray, I have to do the following:
> 1) make complete sourse code (== all my modifications) of the custom POV-Ray
> version publicly available,
> 2) make sure that each time my software runs POV-Ray, this fact is
> prominently presented to the user of said software, by whatever means.
> 3) include original POV-Ray legal and authorship information.
>
> Current scheme looks like this: when my software runs POV-Ray, respective
> message appears on its console. The POV-Ray itself resides in the bin
> subfolder, altogether with povlegal.doc and povwhere.txt files. If run by
> itself (povray.exe), it displays all the credits and copyright information,
> just as an official version does. The version is clearly marked as
> "Unofficial Win32 Console (x86)..." etc.
>
> I acknowledge that I'm currently the only user of my custom version of
> POV-Ray and that, as soon as I pass it to anyone esle, I will make the
> complete source code publicly available.
>
> </completely different matter>

That pretty much sums it up. The POV-Team wants you to ensure that anyone
running one of your application in conjunction with POV-Ray is fully aware
that POV-Ray is a separate entity from your application and due credit is
given to the authors of POV-Ray and the POV-Team. We (The TAG and POV-Team)
don't go out of our way to advertise when we catch people distributing
POV-Ray illegally but it happens more often than we would like. There are
commercial programs developed and sold for large amounts of money that
offer "A Photo Realistic Rendering Engine" and the fact that POV-Ray is
used is totally hidden to the purchasers of the program.

--
Ken Tyler