POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Watcom joined family : Re: Watcom joined family Server Time
2 May 2024 04:59:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watcom joined family
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Feb 2003 10:32:09
Message: <3E5E2F78.5A44B1C5@gmx.de>
ABX wrote:

> [...]
>
> DigitalMarc C++ 8.33.4 - 339 seconds (windows console)
> MinGW 2.0.0-3 gcc 3.2  - 310 seconds (windows console)
> Borland C++ 5.5        - 277 seconds (windows gui)
> DJGPP 2.3 (gcc 3.2)    - 202 seconds (dos application)
> Open Watcom 1.0        - 194 seconds (windows console)
>
> That was quick test with MegaPOV specific scene. I will try 3.5 scene with all
> mentioned compilations and official binaries but I need more free time for that.

It looks interesting but i have some doubts whether these numbers are
representative.  My own tests some time ago showed that the MinGW version
is significantly faster than the Borland C++ version.  What were the
optimizations used for GCC?

BTW the support libraries should not matter much when you render without
file output.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______