POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : New configure script : Re: New configure script Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:06:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New configure script
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 12 Feb 2003 13:51:26
Message: <3E4A97AD.5050406@free.fr>
Hi Thorsten,

	What you propose is _exactly_ what I was looking for but forgot
to mention it in my initial post. That is: people who have experience in
tuning their own architecture should report their best set of compilation
flags, as well as other things.

> If the platform is PowerPC (not to be confused with IBMs Power3 or Power4
> also the instruction set is identical), I would suggest the following
> platform specific options should be a good choice in *addition* to generic
> optimization settings when using gcc on PowerPC:
>
> -mpowerpc -mcpu=750 -mtune=7450 -mmultiple -mstring -mfused-madd

	So I will add a test for each of those flags in the machine-dependent
part of the configure script (as I have for intel/mips/ and some for sparc),
that is something like:

case "$build" in
   powerpc-*) flags tests here;;
esac

	However I'm not sure if "powerpc" is the correct machine type to
check for. Could you tell me what does report a `uname -m` command ?

> If you want, add this to the makefile as note for those options to avoid
> questions.

	I won't put them in the makefile since these tuning stuffs are
not "seen" in here (but only through CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS). Instead I can
put those comments into configure.ac which is the template for configure.
And also I can add proper credits for those tunings.

	So your proposal is included from now on  :o)

	Waiting for the next ideas !
	- NC