POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [RFC] Increasing Rendering Speed: Idea and Implementation : Re: [RFC] Increasing Rendering Speed: Idea and Implementation Server Time
14 May 2024 20:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [RFC] Increasing Rendering Speed: Idea and Implementation
From: Edward Coffey
Date: 6 Feb 2003 04:17:07
Message: <3E422B08.8070001@alphalink.com.au>
Florian Pesth wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich schrieb:
>> <offtopic>
>> In fact it will never be released under the GPL.  The GPL comes with a
>> political message that is not acceptable to all team members.  It
>> certainly
>> isn't acceptable to me.
>
> Which political message? Did I miss something?

The GPL as a set of rules and requirements is certainly a product or an
expression of a particular political belief, but by that alone you could
not claim that it has any more political message than a license that is
the product of a different political belief. However, the GPL goes
further than simply stating rules and requirements, from the preamble:

"The licenses for most software are designed to take away your freedom
to share and change it."
and also:
"Finally, any free program is threatened constantly by software patents."
are indicative of the general tone of that section. I do not have any
problems with the GPL as a license, but I can see that some people
would. I do have problems with some of the things that Richard Stallman
says, but these sentiments are not explicitly embodied within the GPL.

I don't see anything particularly political about the content of the
section "TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND
MODIFICATION". Certainly the particular rules may be unpalatable to some
people, but they are nothing more than rules.

I would be curious to know what it is in particular that team members
object to in the GPL, and wheather they may at some stage consider some
other OSI approved license.