POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [RFC] Increasing Rendering Speed: Idea and Implementation : Re: [RFC] Increasing Rendering Speed: Idea and Implementation Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:52:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [RFC] Increasing Rendering Speed: Idea and Implementation
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Feb 2003 07:25:33
Message: <3E3D0E3D.FFD75638@gmx.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

> >> Source code of my patch is delivered on request and may be used
> >> under the POV license as well as under the GNU GPL.
> >
> >   You should be really careful here. Read povlegal.doc carefully to see
> > if you can do this.
> >
> Please explain the problem.
>
> I remember the paragraph
> "WHY ISN'T POV-RAY OPEN SOURCE ?"
> in povlega.doc,
>
> What I stated in these 2 lines just wants to express that my patch
> is covered by povegal.doc but there is no problem with my code if
> POVRay goes GPL.

The thing Warp probably was trying to point out that there is no use in a
POV patch outside POV-Ray so the 'double licencing' is either not of any
use or tries to imply that POV-Ray with this patch can be distributed
under GPL which is not true.  It is very unlikely that POV-Ray will be
licenced under GPL anytime.

Another thing is that it would be more in the spirit of POV-Ray to make
the patch available without the necessity for a request.  Of course no one
forces you to publish your modifications at all but if you do they should
be freely available.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______