POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Colour-flip bug? : Re: Colour-flip bug? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour-flip bug?
From: Julien Gourdon
Date: 16 Jan 2003 14:29:26
Message: <3E27094D.6090501@cnedra.org>
Slime wrote:

> See, the potential problem is that the checker pattern has opposite values
> in the y=(0,1] range than it does in the y=(-1,0] range. So *tiny*
> inaccuracies can cause the pattern to return *opposite* values. To avoid
> this, the pattern is pre-translated internally by y*-0.001. Normally that
> fixes it. However, that is *exactly* where you set the surface of your
> plane, so you're reintroducing the original floating point innacuracies.

I can't believe it ! Someone assumed that the checker patern was much
more used with a horizontal plane than with a vertical one ?

I find it rather strange that this correction is internaly code, since
we (users) are used to do corrections ourselves (in case of intersection
  between objects, things like that). Is this documented somewhere ? I
guess we all assumed cubes went from 0 to 1, and so on...

--
Jul### [at] cnedraorg
http://www.cnedra.org