POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simulating diamonds : Re: Simulating diamonds Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulating diamonds
From: Ken
Date: 12 Jan 2003 21:33:58
Message: <3E22255A.9864645B@pacbell.net>
"J.Kosina (Rebel^v^)" wrote:

> I need to simulate realistic light effects in diamond-shape structures.
> I see no big trouble in making the shape, but i am no sure about
> setting material parametres. Also I have heard that raytracing programs are
> not good at stuff like this.

Diamonds are actually quite easy to simulate in POV-Ray. Raytracing is the
BEST approach of all the 3D graphics program types. The material properties
are rather simple. You will need to make it transparent, set the refraction
index (ior) value to something greater than 2.0, and add a bit of reflection.
Using the photon feature will give even more realistic lighting results. You
should be able to find several examples of gem stones in the scene-files groups
on this server or search for diamonds in the subject line in the images group.

See also - http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/objet.html

I also have a diamond generating macro available here -
http://objects.povworld.org/cat/Geometrical_Objects/

--
Ken Tyler