POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov/Mechsim: More complex topologies : Re: MegaPov/Mechsim: More complex topologies Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov/Mechsim: More complex topologies
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 9 Jan 2003 10:33:04
Message: <3E1D962F.A1FD7713@gmx.de>
Daniel Prien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i try to build a sphere/ball out of masses and connections.
> I used a macro posted by Mike Andrews in september 2001, which evenly places
> spheres on a other sphere.
> This works. But i don't get the right connections. I don't know how to
> calculate which masses are connected.
> Any hints? Or other methods to build a spherical shape?

Which masses placed on a sphere to connect is up to you.  A useful method
that works for arbitrary distributions of points on a sphere is to connect
each mass with its nearest neighbors.  But you have to find the right
number of neighbors to get a stable shape.  In most cases you will best
place an additional mass in the middle and connect all other masses to
this one in addition.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______