POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : radiosity samples: 255x255x255 probably isn't enough : Re: radiosity samples: 255x255x255 probably isn't enough Server Time
30 Jun 2024 20:41:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity samples: 255x255x255 probably isn't enough
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 7 Jan 2003 16:00:20
Message: <3E1B3FDE.4F8CC9FA@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> > You could use two shorts instead of three, and compute the third with z =
> > sqrt(1 - x^2 - y^2). Then the memory use would only go up by 33% per sample.
> > (Besides, it would probably be faster than vnormalizing the whole vector
> > every time.)
>
> Never mind, I checked and it really does.  This has to be fixed.  A fix will
> be in POV-Ray 3.51.

Be careful, this could possibly 'break' old radiosity scenes because the
directions will slightly differ (although the differences will not be
large of course).  Calculating the direction vectors at the beginning and
not during every ra_gather() call would be a good idea IMO.  I already
made this modification for Megapov in case you want it.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______