POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Sampling in pov3.5 : Re: Sampling in pov3.5 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampling in pov3.5
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Jan 2003 08:14:50
Message: <3E19814A.5E148BDE@gmx.de>
Mael wrote:

> there is an error in the comment in povray source code, the samples are
> distributed according to cos(theta)*sin(theta) (we can also confirm this by
> looking at the illuminance integral)
> I've made a graph with the distribution for the pov samples (compared to cos
> and cos*sin) at http://195.221.122.126/samples/proba.jpg

I am not sure what you measure in that graph but when i talk about 'cosine
theta distribution' i mean the density of the samples (i.e. the inverse of
the mean distance between samples).  Of course there are very few samples
at small theta because the region of the hemisphere with small theta is
small - none the less the density is high.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______