POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Sampling in pov3.5 : Re: Sampling in pov3.5 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:58:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampling in pov3.5
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 3 Jan 2003 13:42:46
Message: <3E15D9A5.3090206@free.fr>
> (and if you look into the mlpov documentation at bokeh_pigment you will see
> an image that clearly shows that pov uses a uniform distribution in a
> square)

	Yes-yes, I mostly read this part of the mlpov-0.81 docs a few
days ago when you put them online - it's in french but so am I  :o)

	I (tried to) study the focal blur method in POV about two
years ago an could not get a better result. In particular to avoid
the grainy effect that appears on solid color textures even with
high sample count and all samples taken, i.e. 'variance 0' AFAIR.
Nowadays I don't remember the details of the implementation, but
I was pretty sure the samples would be all contained in a disc
(without jittering), since a camera diaphragm/aperture is made of
lamels which approximate a circle. Now I'm maybe confusing with
the need to sample the whole pixel area...
	I suppose this is what you wanted to test, using an hexagon
pattern in mlpov. You're setting max. 4000 samples so it's impossible
to see the effect on grainyness on your images (could you setup some
test image which is easier to read, with focusing on a particular
sphere ?). On the demo page you presented on this thread, the original
POV method clearly shows "defects" near the diagonals at 300 samples.
I believe that the Halton distribution would help reducing this effect.
Is it already included in mlpov ?

	- NC