POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Sampling in pov3.5 : Re: Sampling in pov3.5 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampling in pov3.5
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 3 Jan 2003 11:01:02
Message: <3E15B3BE.E57DB601@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> > Another thing i have been thinking of is if it would not be better to have
> > a uniform distribution but weight the sample rays according to cosine
> > theta.  At least it could be worth trying if that diminishes radiosity
> > artefacts in some situations.
>
> Keep in mind that such a method will very likely require more samples to be
> taken.  Most pseudo-random functions simply don't give you too nice values
> for a small set of samples (like the 35 default).  My guess (or hope?) is
> that the current table has been tweaked accordingly for small sample sets.

Methods based on repulsion/minimizing potential energy should work equally
well with both high and low number of samples.  But for using the same set
for both low and high number of samples is important to have a good way of
sorting them.  It has been mentioned before that the set of samples right
now in POV-Ray is only quite uniform at certain numbers of samples.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______