POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Sampling in pov3.5 : Re: Sampling in pov3.5 Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampling in pov3.5
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 3 Jan 2003 10:52:45
Message: <3E15B1CD.397398B1@gmx.de>
Mael wrote:

> > http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/files/samples_simpov.png
>
> it looks good, does it take a long time to create this distribution ?

I did not write down the time for that one but i later did some tests with
4000 points and it needed at least 1 hour to reach a usable state.

> Anyway, as far as radiosity speed is concerned it would be more interesting to
> find a way to make better use of the existing directions rather than adding
> more call to trace() :) For example would it be possible to use an adaptive
> number of samples ? it seems that when we specify "count 1600" povray will
> always shoot 1600 rays at samples locations, although there are probably some
> places where less rays are needed... The focal blur uses confidence/variance
> to decide when to stop sending rays. Do you think we can do something like
> this for radiosity ?

I have made some tests with adapting the count dynamically before:

http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/simpov/docu04.html

but the problem is to find a fast criteria for the adaptation.  As
explained concentrating the sample rays at a certain area might seem
logical but would be really tricky and possibly slow.  The method i used
just checks the distances of the intersection points which have to be
calculated anyway.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______