POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another kind of scaling or "growing" : Re: Another kind of scaling or "growing" Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another kind of scaling or "growing"
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 17 Dec 2002 11:37:25
Message: <3DFF52DD.9060003@free.fr>
Jellby wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Have you ever felt that the standard scaling is not what you need? I was
> thinking about that and it occurred to me that it could be interesting to
> be able to grow or shrink an object not relative to the origin (as with the
> standard scaling) but perpendicularly to its surface. Does this have any
> sense? It would be equivalent for some simple shapes: sphere, cube... but
> for others it would be like changing the threshold value (for blobs), or
> altering the minor radius (for tori)...
>
> I know this is more than probably not easy (impossible?) to do, and maybe
> it's not interesting at all, but well, I lose nothing by writing it here :)

It's been done already (as a patch of 3.1) for mesh,
  see http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/tessel/index.html#displace
It works better with smoothed mesh, because otherwise the
displacement/growth along the normal create a lot of holes in the mesh
(but that can be a desired effect...)

Given the way Pov works, your idea is only possible with mesh and
mesh-compatible objects.