POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Advice on creating better textures : Re: Advice on creating better textures Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice on creating better textures
From: Tom A
Date: 22 Nov 2002 12:45:00
Message: <3DDE6D1B.4B3605A0@my-deja.com>
princeofgonville wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Can anyone give some hints on how they go about creating realistic-looking
> textures? I'd like to do something like rusty steel peeping out beneath
> cracked weathered paint - without using an image-map (am I mad?). Obviously
> I'm going to need some form of layered texture. But where does one start?
> How do you choose the right colours?
>
> Thanks
> PrinceofGonville (www.wis.co.uk/justin)

I use Trial and Error (TM).

For something like that - check the include files to find something like
the rust texture - I'm pretty sure there is one.  Then use a bozo
pattern over it, with transparent gaps to let it shine through.

Er- shine isn't quite the right word for rust, is it.

--
Tom A.
"Archie!  You are headstrong.  I am imperious.  It's a miracle