POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : General question about relative efficiency of CSG operations : Re: General question about relative efficiency of CSG operations Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: General question about relative efficiency of CSG operations
From: LibraryMan
Date: 21 Nov 2002 16:54:42
Message: <3DDD5616.41945C0E@att.net>
No.  There was no difference operation anywhere in the code that
described that *version* of the object.

You know how the mortar between bricks or stones in a wall has a kind of
concave look to it? (i.e., it doesn't usually bleed out, like too much
peanut butter oozing out the side of a sandwich -- at least not on a
wall built by a mason who knows what s/he's doing)  For the other
version of my object, I differenced the cylinders so that their central
axes ran parallel to the vertical surface of a box object.  The radii of
these cylinders are greater than the distance by which they "cut" into
the wall surface.  I had the cylinders running both horizontally and
vertically, the total visual effect being like the diagram I drew.

Clear?
--Mark

P.S.  I considered using one big box with a modified version of the
irregular bricks pattern in textures.inc, but I'm not versed in using
macros yet...