POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface and CSG : Re: Isosurface and CSG Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:11:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface and CSG
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Nov 2002 13:38:27
Message: <3DCEA7A3.D33E4FF@gmx.de>
GRedner wrote:

> I'm new here, so bear with me :)
>
> I need to create an oddly-shaped object (and unforunately I can't 'cheat' -
> it has to be exact). It's an isosurface of the following form (simplified):
>
> isosurface {
>     function { (x*y)/(z*z) } open
>     contained_by { box { -10, 10 } }
> }

You should beware of division by zero with this function.  It is not
defined in the z=0 plane.

> What I want to so is cut the isosurface in half about the origin, such that
> the upper and lower "cups" are separate. Furthermore, I'd like to be able
> to fill each of them with a different color.

If you want to cut the isosurface into two parts with a planar cut use:

intersection {
  object { Iso_Object }
  plane { Normal, 0 }
}

intersection {
  object { Iso_Object }
  plane { Normal, 0  inverse }
}

where 'Iso_Object' is the isosurface and 'Normal' is the orientation of
the plane.

Christoph

Last updated 02 Nov. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______