POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma correction on flatscreen monitors : Re: gamma correction on flatscreen monitors Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma correction on flatscreen monitors
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 7 Nov 2002 07:55:47
Message: <3DCA62D3.85997B26@luxlab.com>
Frans Verbaas wrote:

> I did try to find the gamma factor for my flatscreen monitor (Dell standard
> 15') connected to Matrox GForce2 400 video card, folllowing the procedure
> outlined in the manual.

The procedure works only if the display does CRT/sRGB emulation.
I don't know if normal consumer level models do this but one Sony
display has gamma menu item for which the manual doesn't give a
clear explanation for. Could be CRT emulation or not.

Browse the menus, manual and driver settings to find out for an
emulation option.

Uncorrected LCD transfer curve is not suitable for graphics work
so if a display is marketed as such it should be able to emulate
CRT gamma. If not, get your money back.

> what 'assumed gamma' should I use for this combination, or should
> I skip the assumed gamma line entirely?

Use whatever floats your boat. assumed_gamma 1 is recommended since
it reproduces the scene intensities linearly (on CRT display). Set
Display_Gamma instead.

If the display doesn't do CRT emulation, compare to a CRT display
with known gamma and make an educated guess or just leave it at
the default Display_Gamma=2.2. Publishing your images, not only
povray images,  will be problematic though, as most displays are
CRTs or emulate one.

Kari Kivisalo