POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : 3.50c released (see caveats) : Re: 3.50c released (see caveats) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.50c released (see caveats)
From: Roz
Date: 3 Nov 2002 20:18:23
Message: <3DC5CAFC.9020804@netscape.net>
Safari wrote:
> work, library, school + CD-RW,... ;)
> it contains also IA-64 -versions, take that into account if you
> can extract the tarball on some *NIX shell etc. and download only IA-32
> stuff with your modem...

Good to know and I think I can take advantage of that.

>>My main thinking is that if I can make a compile using GCC that will
>>be very close in speed to whatever ICC can produce, then it's not
>

> not with GCC v3.2 I fear, but you can try.

Actually I was trying to find out if *you* tried rather than just compare
it to the official binary. It didn't seem fair to GCC to compare a
specially optimized ICC compile against a more generically optimized
GCC compile. If I can make a GCC compile that's faster than the official
binary I'm sure you can too and that's probably what should be compared
against the ICC compile you've done. Basically try to compare both with
all the optimizations you can throw at it. I'll give ICC a go when I
get the chance. It'll be interesting to see how it'll fare on an Athlon.

> -O3 -tpp6 -xi -restrict -align -ipo -ipo_obj -unroll -pc80
> (re-experiments for options -wp_ipo and -rcd scheduled for far future,
> IIRC, -rcd did not make any difference, YMMV).
> remember to use also -prof_dir /tmp/some/dir.
> and don't bother with -xM -xK -xW ...
>
> for me -tpp6 is faster because I have Celeron, P4 users might want
> to try also -tpp7...  but sometimes -tpp7 produces faster binaries
> for me (but not with POV-Ray).
> I don't know which option is better for Athlon.

This information is awesome, thanks!

> it makes ICC generate statistics about branches etc done while rendering,
> with the profiling data it can generate faster code.  I didn't find info
> what is taken into account when profiling, surely also other things are
> done besides branches...
>
> for example, if the scene files do not make use of radiosity feature,
> profiling data for radiosity code in POV-Ray can't be generated and
> radiosity-code's speed in the final executable generated by ICC with
> -prof_use will be sub-optimal...  so render many different scene files
> with the binary compiled with -prof_genx.
> I hope you understood something from that.

Yes, actually you are explaining that well :)

-Roz