POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : 3.50c released (see caveats) : Re: 3.50c released (see caveats) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.50c released (see caveats)
From: Roz
Date: 3 Nov 2002 17:33:42
Message: <3DC5A463.3090603@netscape.net>
Warp wrote:
> Roz <Rzl### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
>>There must be some stuff in the Windows official binary that takes advantage
>>of the Pentium specifically.
>

>   I think that it's simply that Intel's compiler can compile better for
> Intel processors than gcc.

Yes, that makes sense because they (Intel) should know all the ins and
outs of
their own processor ;)  Looking back through old posts to this newsgroup
there's
some indication that icc custom builds are just a tiny bit faster than gcc
builds. They're all so close to each other now that I'm not worried
about it.
I just didn't want people to get the impression that the 10% slower thing
bstone mentioned was universal. There's many factors involved beyond the
compiler used including type of processor.

-Roz