POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Oct 2002 15:14:26
Message: <3DB45212.CF6162AB@gmx.de>
Rune wrote:

> I don't know what products have *successfully* used that concept,

By successful i meant profitable on it's own - none of the things returned
on the first page of that google search seems to comply with that. But i
see this is probably no argument for you since you clearly stated the
motive for the restriction is not making profit for you but preventing
others to make profit by using it.

> And I don't see how it's so different from for example a poser mesh,
> that you pose and texture yourself and then put in your scene. In both
> cases, it is something that you can place in your scene, and there are
> some things given, and some things that can be customized by the user.

The difference is that if you use a poser mesh, the original work (the
poser mesh) is always part of the derived work (mostly in 2D of course,
but that does not matter).  When using your include file the original work
is not part of the result, it's only the data processed by your file
that's visible.

It's a bit like selling a lawn mower but restricting it's use to backyards
and forbidding to mow frontyards... ;-)

But i don't want to overemphasize this argument, the more important thing
is the community aspect others have mentioned.  I find it commendable you
already changed your terms in many aspects because of the feedback you
got.  Concerning the remaining restrictions and maybe future tools you
publish i would suggest you think about how you profited from the work of
the other members of the POV-community (not necessarily financially but
also personally - for me this is no elementary difference) who publish
their work without such restrictions, answer questions on the newsserver,
develop new patches for POV-Ray you can use without paying anything and
comment on your work.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,