POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Oct 2002 05:49:28
Message: <3DB3CDA8.466026E1@gmx.de>
Rune wrote:

> > The possibility of people abusing this seems extremely
> > remote in the case of POV-Ray.
>
> Still, there are people who both can and will pay for a license to use
> my files commercially, and I'd like to take that opportunity for *me* to
> make a few bucks on the work I have done. And I think it's only fair.

I don't think it will work.  Think about what you will actually be
selling: You sell the right to use a program to make money.  Do you know
any product that successfully followed such a concept?  The only example i
can think of are free versions of compilers (for example Delphi) that are
not allowed to be used for commercial purposes.  But this is quite
different because such free versions are also restricted otherwise (no
support, older version) and are always introduced after the main product,
mainly as an advertisement system.

Your include file can be seen as a program processing data: you put in the
parameters and get out the particle positions.  So you in fact restrict
the usage of the data processed by your program.  This is perfectly legal
of course but very uncommon.  Also note that this is quite different from
the example of Poser freebies Gilles gave - there it is about restricting
the usage of data (i.e. models).

> > Also, *** requiring *** people to give you credit
> > is too much to ask.
>
> Why? I think it's quite common tendency for free things on the net,
> isn't it?

Maybe it is but don't mix it up with the requirement of credit when
producing derivative work (like in the BSD licence).

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______