POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Oct 2002 05:05:22
Message: <3DB3C352.CC569AD3@gmx.de>
Peter Popov wrote:

> [...]
> Using penalty functions (as you do) has the advantage that it is
> generally simpler to implement and faster to compute. The problem is
> that due to the infinite gradient of the penalty function (the
> function being 0 outside the object and non-zero inside), it is
> impossible to use higher-order integration methods.

I'm not totally sure about the terminology but i always thought the force
based apprach is what's commonly called penalty methods.  What Rune uses
is
the classical impact rules based 'reflecting the velocity at the surface'.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______