POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 20 Oct 2002 20:45:36
Message: <3DB34DE5.FCC0AD1E@onwijs.com>
Rune wrote:

> I appreciate this discussion, so please don't hesitate to pursue your
> arguments further. It is not totally out of the question that I might
> make changes to some of the terms... :)
>
> Rune
> --
> 3D images and anims, include files, tutorials and more:
> rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Oct 19)
> POV-Ray Ring: http://webring.povray.co.uk

I can understand your point, there is no real reason for me to
disagree and still I felt a bit uncomfortable when I read about
this.

Let me ramble a bit, perhaps it makes sense...

I have been using POVRay for commercial purposes (still do, come
to think of it) so I might be involved somehow, if I used your
particle system. I haven't had the need for it yet and I don't
really think I will.
If I _would_ need it it would probably be for some detail
somewhere, not really be the key part. In such a case I think
I'd try to figure something out to simulate what it should look
like. I might also consider looking for some ready-to-use
alternatives. Running into a TOS like yours I'd probably stop
reading halfway and turn back to my own feeble attempts or look
somewhere else.

On the other hand, if it were free, with a line somewhere saying
that you'd appreciate any credit (financial or otherwise) that's
relevant, I would probably already have tried the system and
incorporated it in my work. If, at such a point, I'd realize the
value of your contribution I wouldn't hesitate paying for it. I
would probably even be willing to pay far more then (relieved
that I got the job done).
I have indeed done that for a package which a use a lot.

What Gilles already indicated is that you might benefit far more
by "selling your skills". With your particle system you have the
opportunity to show what you can do (as with lots of other
stuff). With such talents it's probably easier to earn a few
bucks then by selling a package in a freeware oriented
community.

To get to the point: the main problem I see with your TOS is
that you depend on the honesty and good will of users, since you
have no way of protecting your package. It is exactly these
people who would probably share in their profits anyway (if any)
while the ones your setting the TOS up for wouldn't.
And I don't mind giving credit where credit's due but there
isn't always an appropriate place.

Still, as I said at the beginning, I can understand your point
of view.

CheerS!

Remco