POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : looking for mip-mapping... : Re: looking for mip-mapping... Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:05:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for mip-mapping...
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 10 Oct 2002 13:00:40
Message: <3DA5B312.8010206@starman.ee>
Sascha Ledinsky wrote:

> Is this also the reason why derivates are not supperted in POVMANs version
> of shader-language?

No, true reason is my laziness :-)
But talking more seriously: Yes, this is one of reasons, why derivatives
are not supported in POVMan: current implementation lacks information to
support it. I have intention to provide some support for surface
derivatives (for these objects, which support uv-mapping, although
meshes are probably the only types, for which this uv-mapping is
useful), but haven't had enough time for it :-(
I thought also about mip-mapping (or filtering of texture image file, as
it is in RenderMan (BMRT) renderers), but this could be done only after
surface derivatives are implemented. And I'm not quite sure, that this
feature will make big difference with current supersampling (as Thorsten
pointed out).