POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : problem with pigment as function : Re: problem with pigment as function Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problem with pigment as function
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Oct 2002 07:07:49
Message: <3DA55F84.3906427B@gmx.de>
Sascha Ledinsky wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I hit a strange "problem" with 'functions' or at least I can't figure out
> what's wrong in my code:
>
> [...]
>
> this works as expected, but when I change the pattern to slope:
>
> [...]

Since the slope pattern is only defined on the surface of an object it can
only be used in textures and not in functions.

> As far as I understand, the only values passed to functions are the x/y/z
> coordinates of the ray/shape intersection. Is there a way to use other
> values like the surface normal, derivates, u/v-coordinates, vector of the
> ray, etc. in custom functions (like in the Renderman Shaderlanguege) ?

No, there is POVMan: http://www.aetec.ee/fv/vkhomep.nsf/
which supports a subset of renderman shader functionality though.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______