POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV on supercomputers? : Re: POV on supercomputers? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV on supercomputers?
From: Gwen & Emory Stagmer
Date: 6 Oct 2002 00:00:53
Message: <3D9FB6DF.985932B4@comcast.net>
There are raytracing programs for the Crays, but they're not POV...
One of my former employers moved into an office that was being
vacated by Cray, and I got a short stack of 'Cray Times'
(an internal monthly newsletter) out of the throw-away pile.
On the back of each was a picture done on a cray and many were
raytraced.  One of them I recall was basically all shiny reflecting
metal, and it had rendered in I think 17 sec.  Fastest thing
I had access to at the time was a 32 MIP VAX 6340 (4 processor
VAX) or a Compaq 386-20e.  My homebrew Pascal raytracer
(before I'd found POV) ran one scene of comperable complexity
in 80 HOURS on the 386...
  I do have an DEC Alpha 500 at my disposal - I've been wondering
how that would stack up to a P4 1.7GHz...

Emory