POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: shadows produced by area light extremely grainy.. : Re: shadows produced by area light extremely grainy.. Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shadows produced by area light extremely grainy..
From: Gwen & Emory Stagmer
Date: 10 Sep 2002 15:46:11
Message: <3D7E4D29.170072F@comcast.net>
Rahul,
   Try the following lighting:

light_source
    {
    <-12,12,-3>
    color White
    area_light <3, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 3>, 20,20
    adaptive 3
    //jitter
    }

Note: I've got 400 lightsources, you had 9.  I also don't usually like
the jitter, I'd rather wait for the 'real thing'.  I ran this at
800x600 A0.3 on my AMD Thunderbird 750Mhz - took about 3 hrs 45 min.
Slowest lines ran about 4PPS!  There's just a little bit of banding
around coordinates 265x445, but it's pretty smooth...
I posted it at:
  http://www.untiedmusic.com/dice1.jpg

I generally find lighting is one of the places I always can criticize
about other peoples work (OK, mine too sometimes!).  Render it rough
while you're working on it, but for the finals, very dense area lights
will make a HUGE difference when trying to do these kinds of soft
shadows and edges...even the Sun is not a point source, it's a disc.
You can simulate it with area lights and get MUCH more realistic daylight.

Emory