POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pyvon 0.99 released : Re: Pyvon 0.99 released Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pyvon 0.99 released
From: Fabien HENON
Date: 10 Sep 2002 15:30:58
Message: <3D7E4752.9070102@caramail.com>
Steve wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:50:34 +0200, Fabien HENON wrote:
>

>>>I don't want to discourage you from working on this but feel that these
>>>basic issues need sorting out.  A real configure and install script would
>>>be good.
>>

>>An install script just to untar an archive ! I don't see what's the point.
>>A script is good when you have to configure, compile and  move your
>>libraries into the proper directory.
>>

> Why shoudn't the components of Pyvon go into the proper directories?
What do you propose ? /usr/local/bin ?
Besides, users can install Pyvon in the directory they want.

> Why isn't the executable put into a bin directory that's in the search
> path?
I am not a Linux Guru. To know which directories are in the search path,
there is the variable $PATH (or something like that), but afterwards,
how do you deal with.
I much prefer to go for simplicity and play safe : I put all the files
into the same directory.
That may not be neat, but it 100 % safe and it works.
I do not count the times I compiled sources of a software and ended up
with an error because some mysterious library from some unknown package
is missing. I have used Linux for 2 years, and there are still many dark
corners to me.

   Why are all the other files in the same directory instead of in
> their own lib directory?
First, there are no lib files, just the equivalent of include files for Pov.
Second, I did try to put the menu_*** files into a sub-directory. But to
no avail. I have to ask a Python newsgroup how to do that.

The other solution is to move those menu_*** into the Python directory.
But I can not be 100 % certain that it is always located in the same
directory on every system. Besides, I don't want to tamper with people's
system by moving files where they are not meant to be.
If an user wants to install a newer version or to get rid of Pyvon, they
  just have to delete its directory. There won't be anything left of it.

>>In the present case, everything you need is in a single directory. Just
>>type the name of the only file that has executable chmod and that's it.
>

> Yes but to use it you have to go to that directory first becasue you don't
> install it into anywhere useful,
I'll try to copy the starting script into /usr/bin and make a link to
/usr/local/pyvon, and see how it works

>ie there is no install scirpt and no
> reasonable install instructions.
I have already replied that I forgot to add the 'cd Pyvon' command in
the installation.txt file. I'll try to fix that tonight.

> The documentation is every bit as important as the software.
I should have waited a few more days before releasing this version and
spending more time checking the files. I would not have got this kind of
flaming.

I have the impression to work on a on-line help-desk and that you are
calling for a software that you paid for and that is not working.
As far as I know, it is working on your system.
Ok, I have forgotten a few things through an oversight, but I am doing
this on my free time, and it is freeware.

I you want to make an installation script, go ahead, I would be glad to
see one working. I do not know enough shell instructions for that.

>>When you exit from Pyvon, the software does it all for you ( write your
>>parameters and preferences in your home directory).
>>

> Ok I see the RC file now, but you don't keep to a naming convention,
> firstly you call the executable Pyvon and you put it in a directory (that
> could be anywhere), called Pyvon but call the rc file .pyvonrc with a
> lowercase "P".

Ok, I agree with that. I'll remove the uppercase P of both the directory
and the starting script.

Fabien H