POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pyvon 0.99 released : Re: Pyvon 0.99 released Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pyvon 0.99 released
From: Fabien HENON
Date: 10 Sep 2002 02:53:41
Message: <3D7D963A.9030905@caramail.com>
Steve wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 20:15:09 +0200, Fabien HENON wrote:
>
>>at :
>>
>>http://pyvon.sourceforge.net
>>
>>Pyvon now 'speaks'
>>- English
>>- French
>>- German ( thanks to Bonsai)
>>- Spanish (thanks to John Coppens)
>>- Italian (thanks to Alf and Martone)
>>- Dutch (thanks to Ingo)
>

> Doesn't matter how many languages it speaks if the install instructions
> are incorrect it's not going to work.
>
> - Untar the archive in a directory where you have writing rights
>
> $ tar -xzvf Pyvon_0.99.tgz
>
> OK so far.
>
> - Type ./Pyvon in the console
>
> $ ./Pyvon

Ok, I forgot to add a cd Pyvon.

> bash: ./Pyvon: is a directory

That commands is a script

> So this doesn't install Pyvon does it, it just untars the tarfile
> into a directory called Pyvon.
>
> Where does it put the Pyvonrc file that I've heard you mention in this
> group and what is the syntax for that file?  In the readme file it talks
> of a pyvon.ini file?  I've had a look in my home directory and none of
> the files are there even after running Pyvon.
It creates a hidden file .pyvonrc in your home directory. ( or it should
! ).
I have not heard of any problem or bug so far on this issue.

pyvon.ini was the former file used by Pyvon. I may have forgotten to
remove it if it's mentionned in a readme file.
Writing software times a lot of time already.

> I don't want to discourage you from working on this but feel that these
> basic issues need sorting out.  A real configure and install script would
> be good.

An install script just to untar an archive ! I don't see what's the point.
A script is good when you have to configure, compile and  move your
libraries into the proper directory.

In the present case, everything you need is in a single directory. Just
type the name of the only file that has executable chmod and that's it.

When you exit from Pyvon, the software does it all for you ( write your
parameters and preferences in your home directory).

Fabien H