POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : inside_vector ??? : Re: inside_vector ??? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: inside_vector ???
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 7 Sep 2002 21:14:25
Message: <3D7AA4B8.4060407@enter.net>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

 >I think such a long and more elaborate text would belong in the
 >tutorial section, and in that case should be illustrated with
 >examples etc.

Agreed completely. I was using search and hyperlinks to find
my way through the docs when I read this section. Didn't even
notice I was in the reference section. You're perfectly right.
A more detailed description belongs either in a tutorial or a
well commented sample scene file.

> With all respect for your writing abilities i think you text lacks the
> understanding of inner workings to a large extent.  First of all your
> introductory paragraph is quite misleading since you are talking about 'a
> portion of a given object' - in fact only the insideness of individual
> points in important.  Also CSG in not the only field in POV-Ray where
> solid objects are required (see object pattern and inside() function).

True enough. "Point" conceded. <g>

Except of course, that while insideness does matter for much
more (including, I presume, media) we *were* talking about CSG
originally. Hence, the *user* will be reading with the intent
to learn how to predict what "portion of a given object" will
remain after a difference or intersection. Only the inner
workings of the raytracer will be considering individual points.
And presumably, the program already knows how it works. :)

I agree with your comments about the compactness of the
description, and I certainly see your point about how a
hole doesn't always mean an unclosed volume. Although if
compactness is the aim, why use the non self-explanatory
term "well behaved" one time only and then only to define
it in the same sentence?

> Finally 'firing' a ray might sound interesting but is definitely not the
> common term for this matter.

Gasp! Dear Lord! You mean POV-Ray is using unfired rays?
That sounds so... cold (and possibly dangerous!)

      "T'is a cold, unfired light we trace. "

Does have a ring to it, now that you mention it.
POV-Ray, is, afterall, poetry to us all.

--
@C[$F];
The Silver Tome ::  http://www.silvertome.com