POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : variable/adaptive radiosity count : Re: variable/adaptive radiosity count Server Time
17 May 2024 07:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: variable/adaptive radiosity count
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Sep 2002 05:13:54
Message: <3D7871D1.2A21B71E@gmx.de>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> nearest_count could be adaptive.  However, error_bound cannot be adaptive.
> As far as I can tell, error_bound is used during the creation and searching
> of the radiosity octree, so it must remain constant (same value should be
> used for search as for creation).

'rad_count-fn3.png' does modify the error_bound value but it certainly has
some unpredictable side effects but it does not seem to be totally
useless, the bright artefacts at the back wall are gone and it renders
relatively fast (i did not give a time, but it was somewhere between 20
and 25 minutes).

But note the distinction between variable and adaptive parameters in this
case.  The function based method only uses the coordinates of the current
evaluation point while for the adaptive count the geometric context is
considered as well.  This won't be possible with either nearest_count or
error_bound.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,