POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Roz
Date: 2 Sep 2002 21:46:32
Message: <3D7414CA.3070807@netscape.net>
Ken wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>
>>Xplo Eristotle <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote:
>>
>>>As the content creator, it is MY right to decide how my content is to be
>>>presented.
>>
>>  I agree with this (even though I perhaps would have worder the rest of
>>the paragraph more nicely... :) ).
>

> With regard to the VFAQ page the content is not, strictly speaking, entirely
> all yours. Many of us have contributed to the content of the page. Along
> with those contributions it was always presumed that the content would be
> displayed in such a manner that every POV-Ray user could benefit from that
> content without the handicap of browser dependent authoring restrictions.
> I appreciate you making the compromise you did for the sake of the VFAQ and
> welcome you to present the rest of your site however you wish.
>
> When I make criticisms about peoples design decisions on POV-Ray websites I
> only do so because I care about the POV-Ray community and their accessibility
> to resources and information that can help them in their quest to become
> better users of the program. If you think I put in all the time and effort
> on my links collection for my own sake you are mistaken. I could easily pare
> it down to a hundred or so sites I might frequent and dump the rest. I put
> in that time and effort for the sake of the POV-Ray community and will continue
> doing so for as long as I can. If I were to compromise that effort by putting
> all of the links in a browser dependent CSS script then I wouldn't be doing my
> job and at least part of the community would suffer as a result. That would
> be unconscionable to me. That is pretty much the point that Thorsten and I
> have been arguing from the beginning but people in this tread have been unable
> to see.

I agree with it being undesirable to have the VFAQ site implement browser
dependent CSS (or anything browser dependent for that matter). That's why I
commented in another thread that the compromise Warp made was a good
thing, just
as you did in your 1st paragraph above.

However, Thorsten seems to be against CSS, or any layout related
commands, on
general principle. Even if the layout commands are browser independent,
he still
doesn't like it. Actually, from his posts in this thread I'd guess he
hates it
with an extreme passion ;)

> In 5 years or so when everyone has had a chance to upgrade to comparable
> software then these problems will likely go away. In the mean time it is
> important to recognize them and if at all possible make allowances for these
> differences.

And in 5 years there'll be a bunch of new ways of presenting web pages
that'll
cause some more angst ;)

Again, I do agree with you about the allowances... it doesn't do any good to
lock out a bunch of your site visitors. However, if there's tools that make
the site more pleasant for the visitors then I think it's also good to
explore them and try to strike a balance between the web designer's vision
and the current state of the browsers in use.

-Roz