POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory limit & reset : Re: Memory limit & reset Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory limit & reset
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Sep 2002 07:09:46
Message: <3D7346FA.729D5BD1@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> > Will FreeBSD behave better under these circumstances?
>
> Well, you run out of address space for an application at 4 GB on any 32 bit
> system, which is every currently available PC.  Sun offers 64 bit
> entry-level workstations for below US$1000 if you really need a 64 bit
> address space: <http://www.sun.com/desktop/sunblade100/>

Neat, but the data sheet says it only supports up to 2 GB memory on board
and what's 64 bit address space worth with only 2 GB memory.

My suggestion for ingo would be to either make a smaller scene ;-) or use
a different OS (i don't know about FreeBSD but Linux supports full 4 GB).
Of course  more than 4 GB will be still be a problem.

BTW most cheap PC boards only support up to 1.5 GB memory (3x512 MB).
There are 1 GB modules available, but quite expensive and i don't know how
many boards support them.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,