POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Error_Bound Suggestion : Re: Error_Bound Suggestion Server Time
24 Apr 2024 12:02:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error_Bound Suggestion
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 30 Aug 2002 11:19:55
Message: <3D6F8D1B.24EB0982@gmx.de>
Andrew Cocker wrote:

> (Sorry for the reposts)
>
> Whilst rendering internal room scenes with plane walls, I have noticed (as have many
others
> I'm certain) that using a high error_bound gives better (ie non-blotchy) results on
the large
> flat areas, but poor (ie too light) shadows. However, a very low error_bound creates
> blotchiness on the large flat areas, but great shadows.
>
> Would it be possible (and I am no expert on how radiosity works) to specify
different values
> for error_bound for different areas of the image, and have POV-Ray interpolate
between them to
> give smooth transitions? My idea works thus:
>
> [...]

I'm not sure if that would be useful, but it could be worth testing.
Using a function for the error_bound would probably be better than your
approach.

There is already code increasing the error bound under certain
circumstances:

function 'Compute_Ambient()' in radiosit.cpp:

  save_bound = opts.Radiosity_Error_Bound;
  if ( Weight < .25 )
  {
    opts.Radiosity_Error_Bound += (.25 - Weight);
  }
  /* NK rad 22 Nov 1999 - switched to LayNormal */
  reuse = ra_reuse(IPoint, LayNormal, Ambient_Colour);
  opts.Radiosity_Error_Bound = save_bound;

So it won't be that difficult to add a function evaluation there.  But
don't forget that this could slow down things quite significantly.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______