POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? : Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 30 Aug 2002 07:27:12
Message: <3D6F5690.1928F181@gmx.de>
Alex wrote:

> [...]
>
> Which is why I think that discussion on shortcomings and defects of povray
> are valuable anyway, as misinformed as they may be...

No, valuable discussion about possible improvements of POV-Ray requires at
least some competence from those taking part.  I'm not talking about an
academic degree in CS but some basic knowledge about POV-Ray and
Raytracing.  Just whining about something in POV-Ray not working as you
expect it to do or criticizing that some feature you have read about in an
advertisement article for some commercial rendering system is not
available is not very productive.

Nobody says there is nothing to improve about POV-Ray, but talking about
'defects' and 'cheap hacks' isn't something that sounds very believable
from the mouth of someone who seemingly hasn't much experience with the
matter.

For example you say:

> Yes, you can and should test new objects meshing them, but it is very
> different than adding support for them: tracing directly a patch, for
> instance, leads to better texturing and less artifacts, opposed to tracing
> a b-rep of the patch.

Do you really think that that those of us using POV-Ray everyday, about
the only practically usable Renderer that supports both meshes and complex
not tesselated surfaces, need to be told about the advantages and
disadvantages of meshes?

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,