POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? : Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Aug 2002 09:52:57
Message: <3D6E2738.8A43B155@gmx.de>
Warp wrote:

> [...]
>
>   The only defect of area_light is that it only affects shadow testing and
> nothing more. This means that diffuse and specular lighting will still be
> the one of a point light. (I'm not saying this is a good thing; it's just
> the way it's currently implemented.)
>   It might be possible to take into account the area_light settings when
> calculating diffuse and specular lighting. Perhaps someone will try a
> patch in the near future?

In any case an area light only affecting shadows like now should still be
possible since this is exactly what's often wanted and everything further
would just unnecessarily slow down things in those situations.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______