POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New (Old Pov book) : Re: New (Old Pov book) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New (Old Pov book)
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 24 Aug 2002 15:05:47
Message: <3D67D92E.1050609@enter.net>
The Mad Hatter wrote:
>   I bought my first povray book today, though I admit it's a bit dated.
> "Raytracing Worlds with Pov-Ray"  The Official Pov-Ray group book by Waite
> Group press.
>
>   I am wondering from anyone else who has owned this how valueable it is,
> considering it came with 2.2 version of pov-ray.  Is it still mostly viable
> or am I going to learn an abandoned trade here?

I have that book. Very very outdated, I'm afraid. Most of what you
find in it is still usable, but largely in the sense that a Model T
could theoretically be used to drive you to and from work (if you
didn't have too much of a commute). Some gorgeous images, and a
good bit of POV-Ray historic value make it a collectable item for
POV users.

But many, many things have been added since that book was new, and
if you really want to learn POV, read the tutorial sections in the
docs and you'll end up a good deal more enlightened. Even the sections
on Moray refer to a long since antiquated version of Moray that only
looks superficially like the current edition (and then only looking
at the screen from across the room <g>)

--
@C[$F];
The Silver Tome ::  http://www.silvertome.com