POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : library finding request : Re: library finding request Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: library finding request
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 16 Aug 2002 16:23:06
Message: <3D5D5F28.4020005@free.fr>
> Ok, my fault... it was removed from Megapov for legal reason, and I did
> not know that the povteam was now outlaw enough to keep the gif code in.

	I don't think that being able to _READ_ a GIF file makes POV-RAY
outlaw. As far as remember the license problem comes when the software
has to _WRITE_ in GIF format, because it must compress the file with
the patented LZW compression.

	However I'm maybe wrong. I just decided not to use GIF any longer
for quite some time now (since PNG is far better anyway) so I've simply
forgot what's the actual problem  ;op  [the one regret is animated gifs
that could still be useful]