POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : library finding request : Re: library finding request Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: library finding request
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 16 Aug 2002 10:33:13
Message: <3D5D0D38.5050605@free.fr>
ABX wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:06:45 +0200, Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>
>>>BTW: there is also my another further patch plan similiar to this mpeg port.
>>>The same feature with sys_anim type of image map where sys_anim means native
>>>animation gate for platform. This could also open gate for avi, divx,
>>>quicktime, real etc.
>>>
>>Where is the portability ?
>>

> Where is the portability of sys image format ?

Nowhere, but I did not say that I like that fact.
It would be better to take profit of the portability and have a bmp
reader (Win sys) on Unix and Mac port, and reverse of course (thus being
able to use the same scene files whatever the system).

>>Me think: first make the patch for Mpeg-1, and maybe Mpeg-2.
>>

> That was my intention :-)
>

>>Then wait, or you might unburry some old propriatary format ?
>>(Anyone got an FLC or an FLI player ?)
>>

> I don't think there is a sense to implement those ancient formats.

<Drama on>

Ahhhhh... You're restricting my freedom....Ahhhhh....You're murdering
me... Ahhhhh.... I'm a victim of your decision, you owe me a fortune....
Where is my lawyer's email ?..... Ahhhhhh

<Drama off>

>>And what is the sys format for windows ? BMP ? AVI ? AWF ? AVF ?
>>

> Every if internal library can send it to platform codec and has an answer it
> is recognized and can return content of frame.

Do internal libraries have the same interface across platform ?
I do not think so.
I'm afraid you would be making a Windows loader with just "sys" name.

>>Codec: every month has a new one...
>>

> Well, my intention is not to break portability but to make live of animators
> easier.

When you start relying on system library, you somehow leave the path of
portability...

Problem with codec is that you never have the one needed to read the latest
email-movie...

The most efficient codec (compression point of view) is probably the one
which upload your uncompressed movie in a remote server and give you an
url (obfuscated, of course, we're making money here!) to have it back.
This way, you get to compress a 2Go files in a 2048 bytes file, and no
loss in picture quality!
Only problem: you need a permanent and huge feed with the internet, but
that's worth the price. (?)