POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generating SDL : Re: Generating SDL Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generating SDL
From: pto
Date: 16 Aug 2002 03:45:24
Message: <3D5CAD94.7000200@cs.helsinki.fi>
> Just out of curiosity, what would be the point of this? (I have a pretty good
> idea, but seek clarification).

The point is, that real programming languages are much more powerfull
than pov sdl. Even more important is that there is huge amount of
ready-made sourcecode for c/c++ (like ik systems, cloth etc.).

Idea is not to write those stupid-looking commands that are about three
times longer than real pov sdl, but to wrap it in component's that would
be wery easy to use. These stupid command are only here as the lowest
level that should be practically same as the SDL.

Making that higher-level API above this is a bit more complex project.

I understand why you find this idea weird, but I think many non-povies
could find this guite nice. You could also ask why povray should have
it's own dedicaded programming language instead of using pov through a
library?

Btw. The idea came when I was debating with my friend about differences
between bmrt and pov. He argued that it is not necesary to develop pov
sdl to more expressive language. Instead there should be this kind of
API for some language.
Btw2. I heard that bmrt is not doing too well.

pto
--
camera{look_at y+2angle 135} box{-1 9pigment{rgb.8} finish{reflection.3}
no_image}#macro l(a) light_source{8*a rgb a/vlength(a)fade_power 2