POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray in magazines #2 : Re: POV-Ray in magazines #2 Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray in magazines #2
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 Aug 2002 03:03:57
Message: <3D560C5D.3C0BEE09@gmx.de>
Warp wrote:

> Jan Walzer <jan### [at] lzernet> wrote:
> > I've scanned the article and have put it on my page.
> > You can find it on http://wa.lzer.net/pov/pov.html
>
>   Anyone willing to translate?-)

Here is what altavista babelfish spits out (probably more for a laughter
than fore real reading):

3D-Glanzleistungen

After over one year development time appears finally a new version of POV
Ray, the classical author under the 3D-Rendering-Programmen.

The function abundance of the free Raytracers exceeds so some commercial
program. For over ten years the ' POV team ' maintains, an engaged group
of freiwilligen developers, the software. Thus POV Ray is one of the
oldest continuously developed further Freeware projects at all.

The emphasis of the development always is on as high a quality and the
conversion of the current conditions of the 3D-Technik as possible. Thus
POV Ray converted photon Mapping ' at that time as one of the first
programs ' - this Rendertechnik produces light reflections in mirrors as
well as by refractions developing light effects (Caustics).

In contrast to most other 3D-Softwarepaketen, which connect the Renderer
closely with the graphic modelling tools, POV Ray works exclusive over
Skripte. Thus POV Ray can be programmed and developed clearly further as
most competition products. Who may not do without a graphic organization
tool, either to one the numerous Modeller falls back, which writes POV Ray
files - or on a conversion tool, which brings the Freeware Renderer
3D-Fremdformate close. New functions in the version 3.5 facilitate the
conversion of other formats: Thus POV Ray supports the two-dimensional
texturierung now along the coordinates of an object surface (UV Mapping)
and a new compact format for triangle lattice (mesh2).

To the further improvements more efficient volumetric effects belong such
as nebulas or clouds (Media) and more realistic reflections with objects
made of glass and metal. The computation of vague reflections was extended
(Radiosity); besides the developers introduced new source of light
characteristics, among them the grouping of lights. Among the outstanding
innovations the possibility ranks of representing Aequipotenzialflaechen
(Isosurfaces) of arbitrary functions without the previous computation of a
triangle lattice what permits the computation of artificial landscapes
with arbitrary accuracy for example, without occupying much memory.

With the versions for Windows and Mac OS the control surface was revised
likewise. An illustrated collection of code chips (Templates) simplifies
the entrance. Linux users still experience POV Ray as command line
program, however various Frontends exists.

The main strength of POV Ray however the engaged users, who support the
advancement of the software energetically - in the version 3.5 by
documentation, example files and prefabricated script modules, remain.
Outside of the official distribution also numerous guidances and auxiliary
modules exist. Since not only the program is free, but also the source
code openly lies, can remove findige developers POV Ray also - many of the
last innovations base on such unofficial extensions. (Christoph Hormann/
ghi )

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,