POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HF not lighting properly? : Re: HF not lighting properly? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF not lighting properly?
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 8 Aug 2002 21:14:23
Message: <3D53178E.2090603@enter.net>
Peter Popov wrote:
> That's fine with me, as long as we do something about it - can you
> give me a hint about what I am doing wrong (maybe take a look at the
> "Isosurface trouble" thread first)? I'll appreciate the lesson.

Does this not give the effect you're looking for? (Excepting the
hokey, uninspired texture, of course ;) ). Or is this not working
with some heightfields source images?

intersection {
     height_field { png "plasma2.png" }
     box { <0.0001,0.0001,0.0001>,<.9999,1.001,.9999> }

     //apply overall object transforms here...

     pigment { rgb .75 }
     finish { ambient .3 }

     //or here... just so long as they don't
     //separately affect the box/hf combo}
}

A similar effect could be done with a cylindrical intersection
as long as the radius of the cylinder was slightly less than
1.000, the height slightly greater, and the center was translated
to the dead middle of the heightfield. Never understood why the
sample file "hfclip.pov" in the /scenes directory went about
this same effect the (extremely) hard way. (shrug) Seems to
work.

--
@C[$F];
The Silver Tome ::  http://www.silvertome.com