POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2? : Re: Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 7 Aug 2002 03:31:52
Message: <3D50CCE8.3020308@free.fr>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <3d5001cd$1@news.povray.org>,
>  "Patrick Dugan" <pat### [at] usnetcomcorpcom> wrote:
>

>>Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2?
>>

> No. You could probably use an unofficial version of POV that has Warp's
> patch to tessellate the object and write the mesh to a file, though.
> Someone else wrote a better tesselation patch, but I don't know if it
> has the mesh data access that Warp's patch does.

If you are writing about my tesselation patch, because it is based on
Warp's code, it of course also have the access to the mesh data.
See http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/
(main site in french, use of babelfish might help) for download
(Make me think that this part of the patch is not documented on
my page... )

The code is available, but officially forbidden of importation in any
states of the USA (at least not before end of 2004, unless the law get
some new extension as was done with the Mickey Mouse business lately).

>>I would assume that a mesh2 version of that object would render much faster
>>than the "differenced" original version.  Are there such utilities and how
>>hard would this be to accomplish?
>>

> That might be a bad assumption. Boxes and spheres are pretty fast, a
> difference using them could easily be faster than an equivalent mesh.

If you want to difference some meshs, I would suggest that you take a look

at the GTS library. Generating a GTS box and a GTS sphere is "easy",
(GTS: The Gnu Triangulated Surface Library,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gts/ ), and they provide the utilities
to make the difference/intersection/union (IIRC).

Alas, Gnu code and Pov do not mix well at the licence level, so all
I provide is a GTS import/export functionnality in the pov patch.
Only trouble with GTS is that there is no texture !