POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ISO optimization : Re: ISO optimization Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ISO optimization
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Aug 2002 11:06:58
Message: <3D4E948F.6A8571BB@gmx.de>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> imho ISOsurface is the most flexible and powerfull future in Pov :)
>
> Only disadvantage is it's speed in some cases.
> I have idea for a opimization, that in some cases can prove _realy_ fast.
>
> [...]

A few thoughts about that:

It's out of question that the isosurface intersection test is something
that could be improved.  There are various possible approaches to achieve
speed improvements, for example based on precalculations and caching of
function values.  What's most important for such an improvement IMO is
that it should not be too specialized for a particular type of function.

And you should probably be careful when promising an enormeous speed
improvement.

Concerning your suggestion, you should probably try out 'evaluate' and
play with the parameters, dividing a larger isosurface into smaller ones
is a useful trick, but the borders are often a problem, especially if you
also use different accuracy values.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,