POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoV-Ray as CGI program : Re: PoV-Ray as CGI program Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoV-Ray as CGI program
From: John VanSickle
Date: 1 Aug 2002 15:57:53
Message: <3D4992C4.D94C3294@hotmail.com>
Philippe Lhoste wrote:

> What's the use?
>
> - Show a friend what is a ray-tracer from his house.

Can be done more quickly with POV-Ray and a test scene on a CD-ROM.

Five minutes to install, one minute to demonstrate the render.

> - Try before you buy, er, download... You can copy some code snippets
> from the Internet and see what they look like.

A snippet from one of the groups can be cut-and-pasted into POV-Ray
(which every real user has running all the time anyway).  A major
scene file, available for download, should have an accompanying .JPG
or three.

> - Continue your favorite activity even on the move, from any Internet
> cafe...

A laptop with POV-Ray does the trick.  Back in September I was
modeling a birthday cake in the departure lounge at Philly IA.

> Of course, you need a very robust server... :-)

Wouldn't be enough use to justify the trouble.

Regards,
John