POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Why would pvengine.exe need to access the Internet? : Re: Why would pvengine.exe need to access the Internet? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:12:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why would pvengine.exe need to access the Internet?
From: Brendan Ryan
Date: 30 Jul 2002 00:15:33
Message: <3D461088.6010902@global2000.net>
gilroy wrote:
> So, I was just tooling around on my Win XP box (reading slashdot, if you
> must know :) ) and suddenly ZoneAlarm pops up an alert.  (ZoneAlarm is a
> free personal firewall that is tops in my book.)  It asks whether the
> program "pvengine.exe" should be allowed to access the Internet.
>
> I refused, because my policy is to block any program whose need to go onto
> the Net is less than clear to me.  And this one is.  Why is pvengine.exe
> asking to access the Internet?  Or is some other program spoofing me and
> trying to sneak by?

Didn't you already give approval for povray to do that.  If it's doing
that, you or whoever installed povray 3.5 onto your system approved the
option of having povray check for new versions on the internet.  There
was a whole screen for that option in the install, so you must have seen
it.  But the default is yes so you must have not seen it and just
clicked through it.  It can be turned off in the menus somewhere.
Brendan