POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition : Re: povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Jul 2002 12:52:10
Message: <3D441B8A.3830BC65@free.fr>
Philippe Lhoste wrote:

> "Samuel Benge" <sbe### [at] caltelcom> wrote:
> > Are you joking? I don't know much about hardware engineering, so I
> > really can't tell...
> >
> > Mike Blakely wrote:
> >
> > > See http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-06-30/povcard.jpg   first...
> > >
> > > To make this card is not technically challenging. I've been discussing
> > > this with some fellow engineers for 4 years now. The only issue is cost,
> > > which is related to quantity.
> > >
> > > How many people do you think would want this and how much would they be
> > > willing to pay?
>
> Of course he is joking, 96GB is already hard to have on hard disk, so think
> of this in Ram...

No joking, just dreaming!
Remember, 64K is enough for data page,
640K is enough for computer's memory,
512M is enough for a hard disk,
2 G is enough for a partition and a video file,
4 G is enough for file,
49 days and a few more is enough for a system clock to roll up...

> Plus at 800 million pixels/s *and* 90 frames/s, you got roughly 9 million
> pixels per image, ie. for example a 3442x2582 image, far from the
> 65536x65536 promised resolution. Unless they deliver either the resolution
> *or* the speed...

Well, you have the problem of the available bandwith anyway at the interface ;->
That's probably the biggest bottleneck.

> A Windows 3.11 support (not to mention Dos) is... funny. I see no support
> for AmigaOS not Tos (Atari)...

There was some in the early version (including also some older computer,
including a ZX80 (ancestor of ZX81 !), but it goes out to reduce the list :-)
May be I should have kept it in ?

> Is DKBTrace still alive? I used it on my Atari ST 520, and even recompiled
> it on a Sun workstation.

Latest version is now called Povray 3.5, I believe...

--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/